I really love fries, but these days, while convenient, heading down to the nearest fast food for my fries loads up on my carbohydrates and fats calories pretty darn quickly. Furthermore, the amount of times these oil has been re-used is madness to say the least.
Enter my latest experiment: Sweet potato fries. In the past week I continuously thought of new things to cook, and my cravings for carbohydrates grew stronger. It didn’t help that I was talking to my athlete about how sweet potatoes are not only good sources as a low GI fuel, but also strong as a vitamin A food which helps a lot in your eye health. Thus, the adventure began.
Prep work was surprisingly easy. Chop up the potatoes, sprinkle them with a bit of oil and a bit of magic, throw them into the oven, and BOOM. Food is ready.
- 10 minutes
- 25 mins (Might be longer depending on your preference)
- Chopping Board
- Table Spoon
- Mixing bowl
- A large tray/plate
- Baking sheet (Optional. I didn’t use it, but I’ll suggest using them especially if you don’t like to wash dishes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- Pre-heat the oven at 220°C
- Slice the sweet potatoes into long rectangles as shown on the picture and pour them into a mixing bowl
- Spread 1tbsp of olive oil around the sweet potatoes.
- Using your hands, coat the sweet potatoes with olive oil by mixing them together. For the not-so-hardworking, you can also throw the oil and sweet potatoes into a bag and shake the bag.
- Place a baking sheet on the tray, and evenly spread the sweet potatoes on the tray. Ensure that the potatoes are properly exposed as shown on the picture. Try not to layer them on each other as it will affect the cooking process and you’ll likely have raw potatoes instead.
- Once the oven is ready, place the sweet potatoes into the oven and let it cook at 220°C for 25 minutes. If you prefer a crispy texture, consider increasing the cooking time to 40 minutes.
- While your food is cooking, hit the roads for a run, wash the dishes, or just be a couch potato.
- Once your sweet potatoes are done, serve it with your preferred condiment and enjoy!
Need new ideas to cook? Click here to check out this Fried Rice Recipe!
A cheat sheet is included to give you more varieties!